Invisalign for Adolescents & Adults
Invisalign is a set of removable aligners made of clear plastic which can be worn in either the lower or upper jaws with one aim and that is to straighten your teeth. Unlike its counterparts, ceramic or metal braces, the aligners are not attached to the teeth; on the contrary, they can be easily removed when eating, brushing or even speaking. If you choose to take advantage of this offering, you will be given clear aligners to wear for about 2 weeks. The aligners are built to put pressure on your teeth to ensure that the desired correcting movement happens. After the first 2 weeks have passed, your old aligners then be replaced with new ones, of course with a different measurement increment than you had initially. This process ensures that you achieve the desired straightening in your teeth each 2 week period that your aligners are replaced.
Here is what you can expect in the process of getting your clear aligners. Using the latest technology, we are pleased to let you know that these steps can happen in just one convenient visit to the dentist.
- Initial Consultation – During this step, one of our dentists will examine your teeth to see if clear aligners will be the best option for you and which type (adult vs teen Invisalign). For you as a patient, this is your chance to ask all the questions you have about the process, the price, to see before and after shots, the duration of the process and anything else. It is also advisable that even before you start the process to ask about the price and see how it fits in your budget.
- Evaluating your Records – after the initial consultation and once it has been verified that you can take advantage of this procedure, our dental expert will now take all the needed data about your teeth such as the following:
- Impression and Digitization -We will use a state of the art digital impression scanning system called iTero to create a highly accurate 3D scan of your mouth which will help us to create a custom treatment plan and see the expected results immediately. Rather than use the old plaster impression process, which is messy and requires mailing the plaster impressions, iTero will allow us to view the incredibly detailed computer imaging in real-time, save them for as long you require treatment, and send them digitally to the lab where your aligners will be created quickly and accurately.
- Bite registration – The patient’s bite will then be recorded for a better view of how the upper and lower jaws matches with one another.
- Dental x-rays – X-rays are done to ensure that surgeons are able to assess the jaw bone and the tooth roots completely. During this process, either a full-mouth series or a panoramic x-ray may be taken by the experts.
- Photographs – Aside from x-rays, photos of the teeth are also taken prior to the whole procedure. These photos are a combination of side and front photos, side and front close-ups when teeth are closed as well as close-up photos of the lower and upper dental arches. All these photos and data will be sent to the Invisalign company for review.
- Treatment simulation – Once all these photos and x-rays are taken you and your dentist will now be ready to see simulation of your teeth’s movement with the use of different Invisalign aligners, every two weeks. Once this is all good, your dentist will give the go signal and the actual process will now start.
- Manufacture and delivery – once your dentist has approved the treatment for you and the aligners have been modified specific to your needs, the aligners will then be manufactured and it will be sent to our dentist who will then set up an appointment with you.
- Undetectable – The clear aligners are virtually undetectable to others.
- Removable – The aligners are removable for eating, brushing and flossing. No need to miss out on your favorite foods.
- Comfortable – The aligners are comfortable to wear, since there are no brackets, wires, or permanent fixtures.
- Effective and consistent results
There are several reasons why Invisalign has become more and more popular with patients. Created and invented by an IT engineer, the main reason was because of the inconvenient, constant alignment of braces that has to be done. This has been one of the main advantages of this process. Other benefits of the Invisalign process are as follows:
- Invisibility – Since these are made of clear plastic, Invisalign has been a choice because of its “invisibility” when being worn compared to metallic and ceramic braces which totally affects your teeth’s aesthetics. As of the moment, when it comes to invisibility, the only product that surpasses Invisalign is the lingual braces but this costs way higher than Invisalign.
- Removable – Unlike braces that you cannot easily remove, Invisalign can be removed and reinstalled by the patient anytime he or she wants. When the patient wants to clean their teeth or enjoy the ease of eating and talking, Invisalign can be removed and just put back when it is convenient. No need for dental visits and dental experts to do this process.
- Cleaning – Cleaning is easy with Invisalign because it can be easily removed. Once removed from your teeth, you can then brush regularly and keep all those food particles from being stuck in your teeth.
- Easy Personal Hygiene – related to the ease in cleaning, personal hygiene is also a given when you have Invisalign. Once cleaning and brushing is done, just reinstall your aligners and you are then good to go.
- Cheaper than lingual braces – as mentioned earlier, the only better option compared to these aligners are the lingual braces but as mentioned too, lingual braces are more expensive which makes Invisalign an overall better option for patients considering that it also uses the leading technology in aligners.
- Comfort – unlike braces that would require professional and an experts help to remove, these aligners can be easily removed and reinstalled by you. No pain and no hassle to do this process.
- Safety – Invisalign are made from clear plastics and has no sharp edges like metallic braces. With metallic braces, you would normally have sores and cuts in your gums and mouth but these things do not happen with Invisalign aligners
- Reduced Damage to Teeth and Gums – since metallic braces can cause possible damage to your gums due to the fact that it is difficult to clean, this is no way going to happen with Invisalign. Since it can be removed and replaced back easily, cleaning is not going to be an issue which leads to healthy gums.
- Duration of Treatment- on average, Invisalign takes 6 months to one year for the whole treatment to finish. This is shorter compared to metallic braces which normally takes 2-3 years for the whole process.
- You Know What to Expect – as part of the Invisalign process, the patient can see a simulation of the finished product, your teeth’s end goal. With this, you will know what to expect and not be surprised with any final outcome.
When Invisalign was introduced, the main focus was only for adults. The process is that the aligner is a plastic shell that will fit closely on all the teeth in a single jaw, upper and lower. Now, when dental experts and even patients grew more and more inclined with the use of these aligners, another concept was open and that was to extend the benefits of this aligner to young adults. The problem then was young adults or teens still had a few more teeth that will still grow and erupt. With that being said, the Invisalign Teen has been created. With these aligners, a tab is placed on each side where a teeth is still expected to erupt and grow giving it room to do so. When eruption happens, the tab will break allowing the tooth to continue to grow and not be impacted with the aligners. With this process, the teen or youngster will enjoy the benefits of Invisalign and at the same time, allow additional teeth to erupt without any problems. For now only teens and adults can take advantage of Invisalign. No updates yet if this can also be used for pediatric or really young patients.
Just like any other dental product, Invisalign also requires care to ensure that your dental health is always maintained. You can have a beautiful smile and at the same time healthy teeth when your aligners are always cleaned. Note that if you fail to do this, even with all the benefits that Invisalign can do, it can be a trigger for bacteria which will then damage your teeth and destroy your good dental health.
Now you do not need to worry because caring for your aligners is not hard; on the contrary it is quite simple and below are some of the do’s and don’ts for your reference.
- Effectively Cleaning your Aligners – your aligners need to be cleaned regularly. Do this by removing it daily and brushing it gently. You can also soak your aligners in its designed solution to make sure that it is well sanitized. Rinse them after soaking so that they are ready to be worn again. If you do not have the solution, you can use lukewarm water. Avoid using hot or boiling water for your aligners as it can damage them. Take note that if you do not do this regularly, your aligners can be filled with plaque and dry saliva that is bound to breed bacteria and germs.
- Oral Hygiene Maintenance – part of making sure that your aligners are clean is ensuring that you clean your teeth regularly too. Remember that you can remove your aligners to make way for brushing and flossing and then reinsert it once you are done with cleaning.
- Travel Precautions – when travelling and just in case you damage or lose your current aligners, make sure to keep the old one handy.
- Foods to Avoid – since these aligners can be removed easily, it is a must that it is they are removed when you are eating or drinking as food particles and some drinks may actually stain your aligners. Once done with eating or drinking, just put your aligners back in place.
- Do not Use Toothpaste on Aligners – as mentioned earlier, ensure that your aligners are removed when you are eating. While not in your mouth, do not leave it to dry, instead place it in its designed solution. Also when cleaning your aligners, do not use toothpaste as it can scratch your aligners and some of its whitening chemicals can also color your aligners instead of keeping it colorless.
- Don’t Drop Them – Invisalign aligners are really fragile and can easily be damaged when dropped accidentally. So when these aligners are not worn make sure that it is kept in a safe place or dipped in its solution for safe keeping.
Cost for Invisalign aligners will certainly vary depending on the severity of the case because this will also determine the duration of the treatment. The average cost of this procedure is between $3500 to $8000. Another determining factor to the cost will be the location on where you are getting the treatment. Certain areas of the country will be more expensive. Cost can also vary within local regions based on a dentist’s reputation and expertise.
Normally, before you go through the procedure, your dentist will give you an estimate of how much the whole thing will cost so that you can prepare for the expenses and check if your current insurance can cover it. A good tip here is to explore your options and get the complete information about this procedure before actually going for it.
Visit our OC dental office in Costa Mesa for expert orthodontic treatment for you and your family. Our dentists are Invisalign experts and will give you the gift of a great smile. We are in Orange County, CA just minutes from Newport Beach and Huntington Beach.
Orthodontics are a tried-and-true method of slowly and steadily moving your teeth into a more perfect alignment. The problem with orthodontics, however, has been the classic “tin grin;” patients had to put up with big metal braces that were attached to their teeth for the entire course of the treatment. Now, with Invisalign® Invisible Orthodontics, your teeth can be straightened in a more comfortable, less conspicuous manner.
When you come to Dentistry @ Its Finest to have your teeth straightened with Invisalign®, Dr. Ayzin will begin by explaining how Invisalign works, as well as pros and cons of the treatment. Whenever you are ready to start, pictures of your teeth and bite will be taken along with impressions of your teeth. Invisalign® will then use these impressions to create a series of clear plastic aligners that fit snugly over your teeth. These aligners slowly guide your teeth into the desired position; you will switch to a new set of aligners about every two weeks. Invisalign® aligners are removable, so you can take them off to eat, drink, brush and floss, making them much more convenient than traditional braces.
Breaking News: we have been just named a Preferred Provider for Invisalign for 10 years in a row.
Imagine having all of the health and cosmetic benefits that braces provide without being visible, having difficulty brushing and without the loss of comfort. The Invisalign system may be what you are looking for. Please call our office and set up an appointment to see if the Invisalign System is right for you.
In case you are NOT a candidate for Invisalign and you still want to improve your smile and straighten your teeth, we do offer ceramic and standard braces. Our goal is to provide you with the best results. The option is yours!
We are open to serve you, answer questions or schedule an appointment during the following hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Friday:
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
Wednesday, Thursday: 10:00 a.m.- 7 p.m.
The appointment when you get your appliances (braces, expanders, etc.) usually takes from one to two hours. You’ll then see us at regular intervals 4 to 10 weeks apart for an adjustment, which takes 20 to 40 minutes at our regular office hours (see above).
Since most of our patients are of school age, it is impossible to see all patients after school. We will make every attempt to accommodate your schedule, however, at times you may need to alternate afternoon and morning appointments. Morning appointments may be required for placement or removal of braces and other lengthy procedures.
Patients are seen by appointment only. We make every effort to be on time for our patients, and ask that you extend the same courtesy to us. Your scheduled appointment time has been reserved specifically for you. If you cannot keep an appointment, please notify us immediately. Cancel only if it is an emergency. We request 24-hours notice if you need to cancel your appointment. We are aware that unforeseen events sometimes require missing an appointment. After missing your third appointment without notifying us 24 hours in advance, you are subject to being charged an additional fee. If you must reschedule an appointment, we ask that you be flexible with the choices we offer you. Although we do our very best to accommodate you promptly, many of the “prime” appointment times are booked 4 to 8 weeks in advance.
Most patients go a full treatment without breaking or loosening up appliances. If you happen to break a bracket, wire, or an appliance, or if a bracket, band, and/or an appliance become loose, please call us right away, even if your regular appointment is coming up. Fixing breakages requires a longer appointment time, and usually cannot be done during your regular adjustment visit. We will either reschedule you appropriately to fix the breakage or check our schedule to see if we’ll have enough time to fix it during your upcoming regular visit. Please let us know about any breakages as soon as possible! Please note that continual breakage may cause a delay in treatment time and additional charges may apply for numerous breakages of appliances during treatment.
Successful orthodontic results cannot be achieved without your cooperation. Orthodontic treatment is a constant team effort that involves Dr. Ayzin, Dr. Chau, our staff, the patient, and if it applies, the parent. To obtain the best possible outcome, it is crucial to keep regular appointments. Unsupervised orthodontics may cause irreversible harm to the teeth and/or gums. The patient must avoid hard or sticky foods that will cause breakage. The gums and teeth must be kept clean to avoid cavities and permanent damage. Instructions for elastics (rubber bands) and other appliances must be strictly followed. Without patient cooperation, all of these items can cause a delay in treatment and lead to a compromised (not ideal/successful) treatment result. If cooperation does not improve, we may choose to discontinue treatment to avoid irreversible damage your teeth.
Your Family Dentist:
Before beginning orthodontic treatment we require a clearance from your general dentist. A cleaning and exam along with any necessary fillings must be completed before braces are placed. During treatment, it is very important for you to keep regular 4 to 6-month checkups with your dentist.
Our office is committed to helping you maximize your insurance benefits. If you have insurance, we will help you to determine the orthodontic coverage you have available. We ask that you assign your insurance benefit to us. Because insurance policies vary, we can only estimate your coverage in good faith, but cannot guarantee coverage due to the complexities of insurance contracts. Professional care is provided to you, our patient, and not to an insurance company. Thus, the insurance company is responsible to the patient and the patient is responsible to the doctor. We will help in every way we can in filing your claim and handling insurance questions from our office on your behalf. When necessary, we fight for you, so you don’t have to!